SUBSCRIBE

Breaking News on Food Safety & Quality Control

Read more breaking news

 

 

FSA warns of unsmoked bacteria

03-Nov-2003

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) is advising people against eating spoiled smoked mackerel, which has been on sale in a chain of supermarkets in the north-west of England.

Eating the fish, which has not been properly smoked, could result in food poisoning, the FSA said last week. The fish has been on sale in the Booths chain of supermarkets.

Since withdrawn from sale, the product - with a use by date of 02.11.03 - comes vacuum-packed and is labelled on the plastic pack as 'Booths Smoked Mackerel'.

The manufacturer, C&G Neve, based in Fleetwood, Lancashire, has established that the cause of the problem was a production fault, which resulted in the mackerel being smoked at a temperature that was not high enough to kill bacteria.

Key Industry Events

 

Access all events listing

Our events, Events from partners...