Breaking News on Food Safety & Quality Control

Kellogg’s worker dies after factory fall

Post a comment

By Jenni Spinner+

Last updated on 10-Jul-2014 at 01:41 GMT

A worker at Kellogg's Augusta, GA production facility (which produces snack products) has died more than a week after falling from a ladder.
A worker at Kellogg's Augusta, GA production facility (which produces snack products) has died more than a week after falling from a ladder.

A Kellogg’s employee has died after taking a fall at one of the cereal and snack maker’s production facilities.

A worker at Kellogg’s production facility in Augusta, Georgia, has passed away after a fall during the work day.

Kellogg's spokesperson Kris Charles told FoodProductionDaily the death of employee Charles Wright is a loss for the entire company.

“We are extremely saddened by the passing of our colleague and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this difficult time," she said. "We have notified OSHA and are working with them in their investigation of the situation.”

Fatal incident

Wright, 51, fell at the Augusta Kellogg's factory (which produces cookies and snacks) on June 24. According to initial reports, Wright had indicated he was fine immediately after the fall; he was taken to a nearby hospital for medical attention and later showed complications.

Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen told FoodProductionDaily Wright had been standing two or three rungs up on a six-foot ladder when he slipped, fell backward, and struck his head and neck on nearby equipment. Bowen said Wright was transported to University Hospital in Georgia the day of the incident.

Medical complications

Wright reportedly began exhibiting respiratory problems after the fall. According to the report, doctors determined Wright had a neck fracture and attempted surgery; however, complications forced medical staff to halt the procedure.

Bowen told FPD medical staff’s attempts to save Wright’s life were unsuccessful. He passed away the morning of Sunday, July 6.

Local Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) representatives are investigating the incident. The initial OSHA report is expected early next week.

Post a comment

Comment title *
Your comment *
Your name *
Your email *

We will not publish your email on the site

I agree to Terms and Conditions

These comments have not been moderated. You are encouraged to participate with comments that are relevant to our news stories. You should not post comments that are abusive, threatening, defamatory, misleading or invasive of privacy. For the full terms and conditions for commenting see clause 7 of our Terms and Conditions ‘Participating in Online Communities’. These terms may be updated from time to time, so please read them before posting a comment. Any comment that violates these terms may be removed in its entirety as we do not edit comments. If you wish to complain about a comment please use the "REPORT ABUSE" button or contact the editors.

Key Industry Events


Access all events listing

Our events, Events from partners...