SUBSCRIBE

Breaking News on Food Safety & Quality Control

Read more breaking news

 

 
News in brief

Girl dies after allergic reaction from Indian meal

By Joe Whitworth+

10-Jan-2017
Last updated on 10-Jan-2017 at 11:07 GMT2017-01-10T11:07:23Z

Two men bailed after girl dies from Indian takeaway

Two men arrested in connection with the death of a girl after suffering an allergic reaction have been released on bail.

Megan Lee had eaten at the Royal Spice Indian takeaway on Union Road on 30 December before suffering an apparent allergic reaction.

The 15-year-old, from Oswaldtwistle in England, was admitted to hospital but died two days later.

Lancashire Police said a post mortem examination had taken place but full results were not yet known.

It added investigations were continuing with Trading Standards and Environmental Health.

The men, aged 37 from Rossendale and 38 from Blackburn, were arrested on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter by gross negligence and have been bailed until July 2017.

They are believed to be employees at the takeaway.

"Our thoughts are with Megan Lee's family. [Please] take care with takeaway food if you have a severe food allergy," said the Anaphylaxis Campaign on Twitter.

The UK charity supports people at risk from severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis).

Key Industry Events

 

Access all events listing

Our events, Shows & Conferences...

On demand Supplier Webinars

Global Meat News Food Safety Forum: Powerful Packaging
William Reed Business Media
All supplier webinars