The Attorney General in the State of Baja California said it is investigating the death of one person and intoxication of seven others after having the soft drinks with the presence of methamphetamine.
All commercial establishments were asked to stop selling the product and an investigation is ongoing to find out how the drug got into the bottles.
The rights to 7up are held by PepsiCo (or its licensees) in all countries except the US. We have contacted PepsiCo for comment.
Banner Health, a non-profit medical organization, said reports of tampering to soft drinks emerged from Mexico last week.
Dr Daniel Brooks, Banner Poison and Drug Information Center medical director, said if any difference in colour, taste or smell is noticed any product should be thrown out.
“It is important to check that the seal for any food and drink consumed is still intact and show no signs of tampering.”